Thursday, April 7, 2011

Reading to Improve Writing

I've heard or read it somewhere that reading can help your writing. I love it when I find an author or book that just makes me want to be the best writer I can possibly be. You know the kind. The one that you get real invested in the characters. Or you love the back and forth tension of the characters. The plot line just pulls you in.
You just want more. You wish the author would write more books or longer books because you just want more.

And then I think that is how I want other people to feel when they finish reading my novel. I can look at these books and see how they "show, not tell" the story. It helps me to look at what I've written and see how to better phrase what I'm trying to write.

I'm doing Tristi's April writing challenge. So far I have about 300 out of 5000 words done for my goal. I need to get going on in. I have read 3 books this month (and it's only the 7th), so that has been occupying my time. But I finished the series and now I have to wait for more. So, it's time to write again.

No comments: