Monday, November 2, 2009

One Down, Two to Go

One holiday has come and gone - two more to come. I love this time of year when it feels like one holiday comes and the next is lined up. You have Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter. But you don't usually spend the whole month looking forward to it like the Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas holidays.

Thanksgiving seems to get overlooked a bit though. Of course, Christmas decorations are starting to come up in the stores. I understand the whole ordering/setting up/being ahead thing that happens in retail. Just don't make a big deal of it though. Don't decorate your store yet. Don't put Christmas commericals on the TV quite yet. Don't play Christmas music yet.

Growing up we had a rule that there was no Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. We might sneak a song here or there when my dad wasn't around. But I liked that rule. It made the anticipation even better. It seems when you start playing Christmas music too early, you're sick of it by Christmas.

Back to Thanksgiving. I am thinking about doing a Thankful Tree this year. I had thought of the idea last year, but didn't get around to doing it. But this year two of my kids know how to write their ABCs. I don't know the exact way I'd do it. My plan though is to probably cut out large leave shapes from cardstock and punch a hole in it to hang it on a tree. Not sure about the tree though. I could find a dead branch or make something out of wire and brown tape. I'll have to give it some thought still.

No comments: