Thursday, September 27, 2007

An Adventure in Writing

I am a writer. How do I know that? I read it somewhere. Actually, what I read was that if you write, you are a writer. If you sing, you are a singer; if you paint, you are a painter. You don't need to be paid professionally in order to give yourself a title. So I am a writer.

I have story ideas in my head, some are written out. I actually have a whole novel written, and sent it in to publishers. My goal back when I was a teenager was to have a novel written and sent to publishers by the time I was 19. And I accomplished it. It wasn't published. Looking back I can totally see why. It was disappointing, but it was an accomplishment. I still have the letter.

I also have my high school teachers note to one of my creative writing assignments. He said to "show, not tell". It was straight to the point of what was wrong in my story. I can't say that I enjoyed reading the note, but I still have it with me today. I'm a big believer in constructive criticism.

If I were only writing for my personal satisfaction, I wouldn't care so much about that. But I plan on having a novel published someday. And I want it to be the best I can give.

So, this blog is all about writing. Random thoughts, opinions, and ideas. I don't know if anyone will ever read this. But like I said, I am a writer. I like to write. So maybe someone will see this. Maybe not. But if another "aspiring writer" comes across this, I hope they will motivated to keep on writing.

No comments: